Monday 15 October 2012

Stairway to Heaven




There is a tradition at PAHS for the senior students to welcome the juniors at a student-organized party.  This year Batch II students (finishing their 1st year) organized a party at the Lalit Party Palace.  Picture a beautiful garden with two semi enclosed tents, one with tables and chairs and the other with seats, a stage and BIG sound system.  I was invited to attend but had no idea what to expect. I had been told there would be entertainment put on by the senior students but I could not have anticipated how amazing they would be.  It’s a bit like I feel each year at the UBC Spring Gala where I am astonished at the level of talent that is displayed.

The event, hosted by a selection of fabulous MC’s, started off with two different student dance groups in traditional costumes.  The first was a traditional Newari dance followed by a traditional Nepali dance.  The Nepali dance had a familiar theme… boy meets girl, girl plays it cool, boy persists and there is a happy ending.





After that there was an array of performing talent, solo singing, a violin performance, solo dancing, a group of girls accompanied by piano did a rendition of the Titanic theme song, and a boy band (3 guitars and the lead singer) that performed Stairway to Heaven  (touchingly dedicated it to a friend that was lost in a plane crash).





That was about the time the volume of the music got amped up so much that I could feel it deep in my sternum.  The three last groups were all girls dancing to Bollywood-English Fusion.  Imagine Hindi meets The Pussycat Dolls…




It seemed inevitable that if I stayed I would have been pulled up on the dance floor and that was when leaving quietly seemed like the wiser move.  You know what they say that it is wiser to remain silent and be thought a fool then to speak and remove all doubt... that goes double for Bollywood dancing!!

Disclaimer... the pictures above are only a fraction of the talent on display. I'm hoping some of it went up on Youtube so anyone involved can see the incredible range of talent. I also did not know everyone's names and so please forgive me not posting individual names here.  CAC

No comments:

Post a Comment